You may be bearing the pain all night, maybe it’s more than just a pain. You’d be frustrated if someone called the pain a toothache. Infection because of cavity in the tooth which may spread up to the root may be an abscessed tooth. Also known as Dentoalveolar abscess, this pain may irritate you for several days if not taken care in time. However you can find home remedies for an abscessed tooth at your kitchen.
Abscess toothache refers to the painful sensation between the gums and tooth’s root caused by bacterial infection. The formation of pus: Infected material is what makes it painful. The spreading infection in your tooth will make you suffer from an unbearable pain. Home remedies for an abscessed tooth can really get handy for treatment. If not treated timely, it can really get serious; maybe even life threatening.
An abscessed tooth clearly varies from a normal toothache. In the case of an abscessed tooth, the infection and pain is related between the gums and the tooth. Leaving alone the tooth, this pain may spread up to the neck, jaw and even up to the spine.
Chipped teeth, gingivitis, dental infection and gum disease can be the main causes of this disease. Besides, taking excess of carbohydrates and fats, poor oral hygiene and weak immune system can also support an abscessed tooth. Not only you experience pain in infected area when you eat, you also face different problems which can be best described as symptoms.
Some symptoms are: Difficulty in chewing and swallowing, redness with swelling and tenderness in gums, fever, swelling of face, bad breath, insomnia and sensitive teeth. This type of problems can cause you a hard time, don’t waste your time doing stupid things to get rid of an abscessed tooth and experience more pain. Try these simple home remedies for an abscessed tooth.
7 Effective Home Remedies for an Abscessed Tooth
1. Salt and Water
Salt is a very effective home remedy for an abscessed tooth as it reduces inflammation, swelling and gives you instant relief from the pain. It is also helpful in preventing infections. Gargle with bearable warm saltwater solution 3 – 4 times a day. Ignore the pain in first few washes and you will feel much better afterwards.
2. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has natural properties that fights with bacteria to stop spreading the infection as well as helps in reducing swelling. Take a spoon of apple cider vinegar and keep it in your mouth for a couple of minutes. Be careful enough not to swallow and try using organic apple cider vinegar if possible.
3. Garlic for abscessed toothache
Garlic contains anti – oxidant and anti – inflammatory properties that not only helps in reducing the swelling and inflammation but also eases the pain. It is also supposed to fight with the infection and reduce it as well. Garlic juice is preferably better but you can also chew some raw garlic cloves to kill the pain.
4. Using effective oils
• Peppermint oil. Applying peppermint oil in the affected tooth is very helpful in easing the pain as it contains natural antiseptic properties. It not only reduces the pain, but also the infection.
• Clove oil. The antiseptic, anti – fungal and analgesic property in clove oil helps in fighting the infection and treating gum problems. Massage gently with clove oil in the affected area with your hand, be sure not to use too much of it.
• Oregano oil. Oregano oil holds antiseptic properties as well as anti – bacterial, anti – fungal, anti – oxidant and anti – viral properties that enhance your immune system eliminating the pain and infection. Apply some oregano oil directly on the affected part to ease the pain.
• Coconut oil. Coconut oil is one of the very effective home remedies for abscessed tooth that contains anti – viral and anti – bacterial properties. It not only fights with infection but also helps in oil pulling. Plus, it also speeds up the healing process. Rinse your mouth with coconut oil for some time to get rid of the pain.
• Olive oil. Olive oil kills the bacteria in your tooth and also works as a natural pain reliever for abscess toothache. Soak a cotton pad with few drops of olive oil and apply gently on the affected area.
5. Go hard on Vitamin C
Boosting your immune system is very important to fight against the infection. Vitamin C is useful to boost the immune system of the body. Take enough vitamin C supplements to keep your immune system in shape. Sleeping well and having a healthy and balanced diet can also enhance your immune system.
Chewing a piece of onion helps you to get relief of swelling, inflammation and pain in your throat. More pungent the onion, more effective is the result.
7. Baking soda
Baking soda is natural agent to speed up your healing process. It also balances the pH value in the saliva which is effective for getting rid of abscessed tooth. Rinse your mouth with baking soda or applying baking soda on the triggered part is a great help. Combination of baking soda and salt can also make one of the great home remedies for an abscessed tooth.