Chest congestion simply means the heaviness and pressure in the chest due to mucus formed in the respiratory tract. As chest congestion most of the times, is a symptom of other diseases, it is not a severe and chronic disease. Follow the chest congestion remedies provided below.
You May Like to Read:
Almost all people suffer from chest congestion during their lifetime. However, this disease cannot be neglected. Chest congestion itself may not be fatal but can lead to other fatal diseases if not treated on time. Several infections can be seen in respiratory tract if chest congestion gets older. With simple chest congestion remedies, this disease can be treated in no time.
How it happens?
When we breathe in, the mucus in the respiratory tract traps different types of allergens, dust particles, virus, etc. These cause inflammation and difficulty in breathing. When the mucus reaches in and around the lungs, you experience chest congestion. Most of the times, you suffer from chest congestion when you are the victim of common cold. However, other respiratory diseases like common cold, asthma, flu, airborne allergies, and pneumonia are also the major causes.
The most common problem during chest congestion is chest pain, shortness and difficulty in breathing, coughing and mucus in cough. Other common symptoms include runny nose, wheezing, dizziness, loud crackling sound while breathing, thick tongue, swollen lips which may also be accompanied by fever and body aches.
Chest Congestion Remedies
1. Gargle with salt and water
One of the most effective chest congestion remedies. Salt water gargle is an excellent way to remove mucus from respiratory tract and reduce irritation in the throat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm boiled water and stir it well. Also add a pinch of turmeric for further effectiveness. Then gargle for 1-2 minutes. Perform this twice or more each day to get relief.
2. Ginger can help
Ginger is always the best remedy for inflammation in the respiratory tract. Thanks to its anti-inflammation properties. Its anti bacterial properties also remove congestion and clears cough. So, get a piece of ginger and chew it to soothe your congestion.
3. Get a slice of onion
You can also have a slice of onion in any form to get relief from congestion. Onions help in breaking down the mucus in your chest and eases chest congestion. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties that soothe inflammation in chest. Consume onion with honey for more benefits.
4. Use lemon
Lemons contain Vitamin C which is well-known for boosting the immunity system of the body. With this vitamin, you can get rid of mucus forming virus and reduce cough. Make a glass of fresh homemade lemon juice and drink it. For best magical potion, you may want to use hot water and add honey.
5. Honey-lemon tea
Honey has antiseptic properties that help in reducing infection in the respiratory tract. Honey is also effective in reducing thickness of phlegm. Prepare a hot cup of lemon tea and add honey in it. Drink the mixture and you will get relief of the congestion for several hours. This mixture also helps to get rid of chest congestion for good.
6. Get a cup of coffee
Yes, you heard it right. Caffeine, which is restricted most of the time, is a remedy for chest congestion. It clears the mucus or phlegm from the lungs.
7. Apple-cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps you to breathe easily as vinegar helps to get rid of bacteria that produce mucus in the respiratory tract.
8. Take a steam and use humidifier
Taking steam is a relevant way to get relief of congestion. It moisturizes the respiratory tract and breaks down and dissolves mucus in lungs and throat. Also use humidifier to keep your room moist especially during the night time. This way the mucus loosens and is easy to remove.
• Drink enough water as water helps to clear chest congestion and also clear mucus from throat and lungs. For best results warm water is preferably better.
• Quit smoking. Smoking also causes cough, smoker’s cough. Never ever smoke while you are too much congested and have excess mucus in your lungs. This puts you in worse condition.
• Exercise regularly. Maintain a healthy lifestyle.
• Say NO to junk and fried foods. Also avoid milk products, salty and sugary foods that increase the production of mucus. Eat beneficial food for the body maintaining balanced diet.
• Practice yoga. Yoga is another of the most effective chest congestion remedies. It may help you to open your airways and help you breathe more properly. The mucus may also come out while practicing yoga.
• Stay in a clean and healthy environment away from the allergens and dusts.
• Get enough sleep. Also sleep with your head elevated so that the mucus flows out overnight.